Transcendence. In this film, Depp is a scientist studying artificial intelligence who is targeted by a radical anti-technology group. His quest for his consciousness to move beyond his physical body raises ethical dilemmas that only becomes deeper as he begins to assimilate the world's knowledge. Rebecca Hall and Morgan Freeman costar. Also this week, Greg Kinnear and Thomas Haden Church star in the adaptation of the bestselling book Heaven is for Real, about a boy's trip to the afterlife. Our indie pick this week is the low budget noirish thriller Blue Ruin which follows a homeless man who returns to his hometown to avenge the death of his parents.
DOCUMENTARIES: If you like the idea of sitting down for a meal with great Hollywood comedy writers and directors like Sid Caesar, Monty Hall and Carl Reiner then you'll want to grab Lunch, which tags along for this very event! Eric Clapton, Bono and Carlos Santana are featured in the B.B. King: The Life of Riley, which illuminates King's long, successful career in music. For those of you who still have soccer fever, Next Goal Wins is a heartwarming look at an Dutch coach's attempt to create a competitive soccer team in American Samoa.
You can find all of our new and upcoming DVDs in Bibliocommons.
Blockbuster Teen Movies (With Pizza!)
Join us on Monday, July 28 for our first ever blockbuster double feature as we screen Thor: The Dark World and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire in the movie lounge of the library (aka The Hammond Room). Thor starts at 3:00, pizza will be served at 5:00, and Catching Fire shows promptly at 5:30. Please note that both movies are rated PG-13 and that this program is ONLY for those in 6th-12th grades. Enjoy the show(s)!
Elaine Stritch RIP
- Shoot Me is a brand new documentary, with interviews from colleagues and friends who include Tina Fey and Nathan Lane.
- At age 77 Stritch was still performing in a one woman show, captured in At Liberty From the Old Vic Theatre.
- Woody Allen's casting of Stritch as a former movie star in September brought her critical acclaim.
- Sondheim! The Birthday Concert brings together Stritch and many other Sondheim interpreters in a celebration of the man's 80th birthday.
- Many people these days mainly know Stritch from her hilarious turns as Jack's mother in 30 Rock.